Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Jackie O's Living Room


The Living Room of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
New York City apartment

Hi Girlfriends,

Back in '96, I bought a birthday present for myself in March.  Do you ever do that?  I called Sotheby's in New York and requested a catalog from "THE ESTATE OF JACQUELINE KENNEDY ONASSIS".  The auction sale was to take place on April 23 - 26 1996.  Upon opening the catalog, it gave me the opportunity to--instantly--feel like a "guest" in her New York City apartment. The above photo is one of my favorites.  Sorry for the poor quality of scanning, but, what I loved the most and have 'copied' every year, is the hydrangea arrangement to the right of her mantle.  

Right now, I have my white hydrangea in full bloom.  Once they begin to turn a tinge of green, I know it's time to cut.  I learned a trick along the way.  Forget turning them upside down and hanging them to dry.  If you do, you get the ones touching each other distorted in shape.  I simply cut them long, put dry oasis in the bottom of a vase and begin stuffing them while they are still fresh.  They keep their shape (most importantly) and as they begin to dry their coloring begins to look fabulous too.  At Thanksgiving time, I put pheasant feathers in the arrangement.......carefully.  At Christmas, I add glizzzzzzzzz to them out of Michael's craft store.

Talk again,
Denise 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

G.F. Denise, Thanks! I Love the idea on making this hydrangea arrangement last and last and last. What do you do with the arrangement after Christmas?

Denise said...

Denise speaks......

Alyce, I take out the gliz and leave them in until I replace them with my new crop of hydrangeas in late summer. Oddly, this year, they are early and I am already cutting.

cotedetexas said...

I WANT this!!! I wonder if it still for sale? hmmm maybe I'll google it and see what happens.